Sunday, November 9, 2008

Observation III

Observations: There was a murky green smear on the near the bottom of the aquarium. Upon microscopial investigation, it turned out to be cyanobacterium (oscillatoria) that that have grown so densely that other organisms had trouble moving through the strands. Also, I have discovered algae about, and I assume more water has been added, since the microaquarium is almost full again, and greatly more populated by microscopic life. Most of this life seems to be near the bottom of the tank.

New organisms observed/identified:

1. Melosira - a long-stranded yellow diatom, these guys were found mostly near the bottom near the oscillatoria. I found around a dozen of them skimming the bottom tank for more interesting specimens. These didn't do much.

2. Closterium - a crescent-shaped desmid, with two compartments separated at the midsection. This is a green algae, thus it is photosythetic, and I did not observe it moving. I only found one during my observation, at the bottom of the tank, it is possible that there are more.

3. Gastrotrych - little tiny earwig-looking guys that moved fairly rapidly about, noticed these guys but didn't identify them in my previous observations. They move pretty quickly via cillia, I have observed at least a dozen in my microaquarium.

4. Oedogonium - long filamentous green algae, also found at the bottom of the tank. I noticed several strands of these, including two that had coiled together in a double helix.

I also saw most of the microscopic life I'd observed in the past, and noticed a great deal of vorticella about, which may have come from the added water.

No comments: